Leesburg Child Custody Attorneys
Compassionate & Knowledgeable Advocates in Loudoun County
Your relationship with your child is your most valuable asset. It is important you do everything in your power to protect it. In Virginia, child custody is determined by evaluating what is in the best interests of the child.
Attorney Renee Berard is certified by the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve as a guardian ad litem to represent the best interests of children in pending legal matters. She is regularly appointed by the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court and the Circuit Court to advocate for children's best interest in custody disputes, abuse and neglect cases, and foster care cases.
All of our skilled Leesburg family lawyers at Alex Levay Attorneys, PLLC represent individuals with difficult child custody battles throughout Loudoun County. If you need help with a custody matter, we are eager to serve as your legal advocate.
What Is the Best Interest Standard in Virginia?
In Virginia, the court must consider a variety of factors before determining what is the child's best interest and what kind of custody arrangement would reflect that.
Some of the many factors the court will consider include:
- The child’s age
- The child’s physical and mental health
- Each parent’s age and physical and mental health
- The existing relationships between each parent and the child
- Each parent’s ability to accurately assess and meet the child’s emotional, intellectual, and physical needs
- The role that each parent has played and will play in the child’s upbringing and care
- Whether each parent supports fostering a relationship between the child and the other parent
- The child’s preference, if they are old enough and mature enough to express a preference
- Any history of sexual, physical, or emotional/verbal abuse
Modification of Custody
There are certain circumstances where the court will modify an existing child custody order. In order to modify the court's order, there must be a material change in circumstance since the last court order and the modification requested must be in the child's best interest. If you are seeking a modification to a child custody agreement, we can help.
Talk to Our Attorneys about Your Child Custody Issue
At Alex Levay Attorneys, PLLC, we take child custody matters seriously. We understand the weight of this decision and how it will affect your family for years to come. To learn more about how we can help you with your child custody issue, do not hesitate to schedule a free consultation with our Leesburg child custody attorneys.
I wanted to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation for one of your attorneys, Mr. Michael D Sawyer.- Anonymous
She would be the person I would recommend, without hesitation, for someone in need of legal representation.- Mike
She is extremely well respected in the Loudoun County Court system.- Renee